Social Media Optimization (SMO) is these days one of the key needs for any business to flourish and it plays a significant role in making it a brand. What you also need in such a situation are the customers – in terms of social media it is known as “traffic”. To grow the traffic on your website or any social pages on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. (so basically, to increase the number of your customers/visitors), you need to optimize them as per the standard and the competition in the market. It includes infographics, informational videos, gifs, written content, campaigns, discounts, etc. To achieve that and to manage the brand efficiently, the companies need social media experts.
If you feel like it is something for you, if are eager to join a company in such a role or if you have already a job interview scheduled and you want to be the best prepared for it, this article is for you! We will share with you the most popular SMO interview questions and answers which will help you to boost your confidence and increase your chances in the interview. Let’s get started!
SMO Interview Questions and Answers
How Social Media affects SEO?
SEO is not directly affected by social media, however, they give additional exposure to your website/content/brand. It can be achieved for example by sharing the articles (content) on various social media platforms. Thanks to that you will boost the local search engine optimization, increase the organic traffic and finally, enhance the brand reputation.
How do you understand the engagement in social media?
Social media engagement is measured based on how many likes, comments, and shares you get for a single post. This helps the business owners to know the content interaction with the end-users.
How to increase Facebook reach?
There are many ways to boost Facebook reach. Depending on your needs and possibilities to you can choose to implement one strategy only, two, several of them, or even all of them at the same.
- Strategize your presence on Facebook.
- Gain authority by sharing quality content.
- Create a closed group to have more engagement of users.
- Post new content which users like most.
- Post new content when your competitors are “sleeping”.
- Post regularly.
- Target locally.
- Reach your audience by demographics.
- Use paid services like Facebook ads.
- Keep your page up to date and active.
What are the advantages of SMO?
The main advantages of Social Media Optimization are:
- The brand starts to get more customer interaction through social media platforms.
- Websites like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram give great visibility (for example, Facebook, which is the highest-ranked, has in total around 2.80 billion users!).
- Thanks to social media you can easily inform your users/customers that your company is having some event, new arrivals, sales, promotions, etc.
- Enhancement in customer loyalty.
- Some social media business tools offer the possibility to make market insights. With their help, you can check for example which product is best in the market and what your customers like.
- You will get trending item analysis which can help to quickly boost your popularity.
- There are some paid options like Facebook ads, Twitter ads, etc.
Can you name some of the social media websites?
Below you can find the best social media websites (sorted by the highest number of users):
- Facebook: 2.80 billion users
- YouTube: 1.9 billion users
- Instagram: 1 billion users
- LinkedIn: 740 million users
- TikTok: 500 million users
- Pinterest: 459 million users
- Tumblr: 327 million users
- Snapchat: 255 million users
- Twitter: 187 million users
- Flickr: 112 million users
Why do we use # tags?
Hashtags connect all the social media content related to one topic and make it easier for users to share their content on one topic. Hashtags are usually simple, short, catchy, and easy to remember words. For example, hashtag #interviewtips can be used by all the users who want to read or post the content about the interview tips.
How to find the best # tags?
Hashtags are an essential part of every social media campaign. To find the best # tags, firstly you will need to answer a couple of questions:
- What your content/product is about?
- Which age group of users uses our product?
- Is it local or international?
There are also several rules to follow.
- Use only the tags which are relevant to your product.
- Use the social media search bar to see all possible hashtags.
- Use the tools which are dedicated to the popular hashtags.
- Check regularly the hashtag statistics to know how many users use it and what the popular trends are. Did you know that #love has been used in around 1.9 billion posts on Instagram!
What KPI’s reporting is needed for a social media campaign?
The most important social media metrics (so-called KPI’s) will be the most useful and helpful. To start with, you can think about the below parameters:
- Reach – number of people who might have come across your content.
- Impressions – How many times did your content appear in the user’s search result/feed/timeline, etc.?
- Web Traffic – number of users redirected to your website from social media.
- Audience growth – number of new followers.
- Social share of voice (SSoV) – total number of your mentions divided by the total number of mentions regarding your competitors.
- Users’ engagement – number of users’ reactions: likes, comments, shares, followers, etc.
- Virality rate – number of people who shared your content relative to the total number of impressions.
- Conversion rate – In how many clicks people take the desired action?
- Bounce rate – number of single-session (number of people who clicked on your CTA and left your page with no action).
- Click-through rate (CTR) – How many people who view your content, click through to take another action.
- Cost-per-click (CPC) – the cost of one click in an advertising campaign
Which social media tools have you used so far?
If you have already used some social media tools, share your experience in these areas with the interviewer. In general, the richer and the more diversified your experience is – the better.
If you are not familiar with any social medial tools, you can always share the name of the tools which you read about or which you would like to learn. Be ready to justify your answer or choice.
Top Social Media tools are:
- Google Trends
- Facebook Analytics
- Twitter Analytics
What are the best practices on social media?
This could be the topic for a separate article but we tried to list for you 15 practices to follow starting from day 1:
- Learn everything about your customers (audience, visitors, etc.).
- Think of the ways to reach out to them.
- Target one specific social network and produce their valuable content. It is much better than getting involved in many networks and producing insufficient, irregular, and poor quality content.
- Always check the demographics of social media websites.
- Create a plan and a strategy.
- Set the goals to achieve.
- Make regular audits.
- Check your competitors.
- Always join the conversations which are relevant for your industry.
- Respond to reviews, comments, and mentions.
- Don’t repost the same content on various social media networks.
- Use the right tools.
- A/B test your content.
- Do not spam.
- Constantly optimize your content.
How do you deal with negative reviews and comments?
Each negative review or comment should be analyzed separately, but here are some general rules to follow in such situations:
- Stay calm and try not to take them personally.
- Reply as soon as your emotions cool down.
- Avoid open, public disputes. Try to contact a negative comment author directly: via an e-mail, direct message, etc.
- Keep your reply positive.
- Apologize, if needed.
- Provide the explanations, if needed.
- Agree to disagree – very often it is the best solution.
- Generate the positive comments to “balance” the negative impression.
- Take the lessons learned to avoid similar situations in the future.
- Use the “Hide comment” function, if needed. Abusive or offensive comments should be always hidden, deleted, or reported.
How to increase the traffic on social media?
Increasing social media traffic can take more or less time but it always required a lot of time, energy, passion, and involvement. You will need to stay vigilant, be available and responsive, be ready to change or adapt, and, especially, very regular and self-disciplined. The most efficient ways to boost the traffic are:
- Follow SMO best practices.
- Improve your visuals. Did you know that social media posts with images create even 650% more engagement than text-only posts?
- Make your content easy to share and engage.
- Publish the new content when your audience is the most active.
- Start to interact with your audience.
- Become mobile device friendly. Most of the time spent on social media is through a mobile device, usually a mobile phone.
- Create the inbound links.
- Think about joining other social media. Very social media platform means billions or millions of new, potential followers, reactions, clicks, etc.
- Think about paid social advertising.
- Learn more about your competitors and let them inspire you.
How to measure social media success?
We encourage you here to go back to one of the questions above about the KPI’s (What KPI’s reporting is needed for social media campaign). To measure the social media success, probably the most useful would be the following metrics: reach, audience growth, and users’ engagement. It is, however, worth to mention, that for every company a definition of success is slightly different, so instead of comparing standard metrics, more helpful will be to follow-up on the specific goals.
How SMO adds value to our brand?
- Increases the customers’ engagement.
- Increases the Ads reach effectiveness.
- Helps to manage the company PR.
- Helps to know your audience (customers) better.
- Increases the availability and shortens the “distance” between the company and its customers.
What is social media reach?
Social media reach is one of the social media analytics metrics and represents the total number of users who have come across your content.
Social Media Interview Questions
What are the current social media trends?
What do you mean by trending?
How to make a viral YouTube video?
How to find top influencers in the industry?
How to stay up to date with the new social media platforms and innovations?
Thank you for visiting our website!
Help us to develop the content and leave a comment with your suggestions. If this article was useful, leave a thumb up.
Thanks and good luck!
Was this helpful?
1 / 0