Today, we prepared for you the updated list of the top 50 interview questions for musicians 2023.
Whether you are an interviewer preparing for an interview and looking for inspiration or a candidate hoping to get a job as a musician or join a band, this article is for you. Use our interview tips and musicians’ interview questions as an inspiration or a starting point for further discussion. An interview with an artist will never be the same. Every artist, band, studio, etc. is different and the interview questions should be adapted to the person we talk with. Deep research is a must. Be prepared but don’t be scared to be spontaneous too. Feel the energy during the interview and follow the rhythm.
Table of Contents
Interview tips for interviewers
- Prepare yourself for an interview. Do the research about a musician or a band that you will invite or visit (the biggest hits, tours, plans for the future, interviews, social media, clash in opinions, etc.).
- Avoid the closed questions that can be answered by a simple “yes” or “no”.
- Try to make an interview interesting and think of unique and personalized questions.
- To make the atmosphere light, you can also think of some funny questions.
- Always show them respect and interest in a candidate.
- Remember not to ask any illegal interview questions.
Interview tips for candidates
- Research the band or the company that you apply for.
- Review again the job offer and the job description.
- Study your resume to know everything about it.
- Think of your outfit.
- Plan the route.
- Prepare and practice your introduction
- Practice your answers to the most popular musicians’ interview questions.
- Prepare your own questions for the interviewer.
- Check also our free full guide on how to prepare for a first job interview.
Musicians Interview Questions
Questions about the career beginnings
- What was the role of music in the early years of your life?
- Are you from a musical or artistic family?
- Who inspired you to be a part of the music industry?
- How did you learn to sing/write/to play?
- What your first music teacher was like?
- What was the first instrument which you learned to play?
- What is the story behind your band name/stage name?
- What was the first concert that you ever went to and who did you see perform?
Questions about the artistic creation
- How could you describe your music?
- Describe your creative process?
- What is your main inspiration?
- What musician do you admire most and why?
- What is one message that you would like to give to your fans?
- How would you describe your fans?
- Do you create for yourself or for your fans?
- Do you prefer to listen to music or create it?
- Did your style evolve since the beginning of your career?
- Who do you see as your main competitor?
- Would you agree that it is very important to learn, study and understand old music and music history?
- If you could have a musician tag along with you on tour for one month, who would you choose?
Questions about the skills and experience
- What do you enjoy most about being a musician?
- What skills are the most useful in the music industry?
- How do you handle frequent travels and being away from home for long periods of time?
- How do you handle working evenings and nights?
- Have you ever played at a wedding or a public party?
- When is the last time you performed in front of a huge audience?
- Tell me about your best performance?
- Tell me about your worse performance?
- Do you experience stress before going on stage?
- What would you do if the audience looked bored during your performance?
- How do you energize the audience?
- What is the biggest problem you have encountered in the journey of music?
- If you could change one thing in the music industry, what would it be?
- Have you ever participated in any music competition?
- Do you have experience in teaching music?
Questions about the future
- What are your plans for the coming months?
- Do you have any artistic collaboration plans?
- If you could trade places with any musician in the world, who would it be?
- What does your typical day look like?
- How do you think social media has changed the music industry?
- What does your typical weekend look like?
- How do you balance the music and your other obligations – school, family, etc.?
- What is the best gig you’ve ever played?
- What is your opinion about the covers?
- What is your opinion about 90s music?
- Is there any music style which you don’t like?
- Is there a link between ethics and music?
- What is an instrument which you like to learn and why?
- What is the saddest song you’ve ever heard?
- If you were an instrument, what would you be and why?
- If you were a band, what would you be and why?
- If you were a CD, what would you be and why?
- If you were a song, what would you be and why?
- What advice would you give for someone who has just started a career?
- What are your interests outside of music?
- If it wasn’t a music career, what would you be doing?
Thank you for visiting our website. If you have any suggestions, leave a comment below. If you liked this article and want more, give it a thumb up!
Thanks and good luck!