In this article, we’ll give you some ideas to answer the question: “what do you like doing in your free time?” This is a common interview question, and finding a good answer on the spot can be tough. However, if you take some time to think about it in advance, you’ll be able to give a great answer to the interviewer. We will also provide a list of interesting activities you can mention in your interview. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is the interviewer looking for?
When interviewers ask about your hobbies or free time activities, they usually try to get a sense of your interests outside of work. This can give them insight into what motivates you and whether you would be a good fit for the company culture.
Some employers even use hobbies as a way to know your skill set. For example, if you enjoy photography, they may assume you have an eye for detail. Or, if you like hiking, they may think you’re adventurous and physically fit.
Of course, some hobbies are universally seen as positive. These include volunteer work, playing sports, and taking classes. Any activity that demonstrates teamwork, leadership, or dedication impresses an interviewer.
When discussing your hobbies, highlight why you enjoy them and how they’ve helped you grow. This will show that you’re reflective and proactive about self-improvement, two qualities that are always desirable in an employee.
How to answer the question
Finding time for hobbies and personal interests can be difficult in today’s busy world. However, interviewers often ask about your spare time activities to understand who you are. When faced with this question, it’s important to give a well-rounded answer that shows you’re a balanced individual with diverse interests. Take a moment to consider the hobbies and activities you enjoy outside work or school. These can be anything from playing sports to reading, cooking, or spending time outdoors.
One way to answer this question is by discussing hobbies that could benefit the company you’re interviewing for. For example, if you’re applying for a job at a fitness center, you could mention that you like to work out or play sports in your free time. If you’re applying for a job in customer service, you could mention that you like volunteering or helping others in your spare time. By discussing how your hobbies can help the company, you show that you’re not only qualified for the position but also a good fit for the company’s culture.
Another way to answer this question is by sharing interests that demonstrate qualities that would benefit the role you’re interviewing for. For example, if you’re interested in fashion and are interviewing for a retail job, you could discuss how your interest helps you stay up-to-date on trends. If you like to cook and you’re interviewing for a job in the food industry, you could talk about how your hobby has helped you develop knife skills or learn about different flavor profiles. By sharing relevant interests in the job, you show that you have qualities that would make you a good fit for the position.
No matter what your hobbies are, be sure to present them in a positive light and avoid coming across as boring or uninteresting. This is your chance to show the interviewer that you’re more than just a resume – you’re a well-rounded individual with a life outside work. So please take advantage of it!
What not to say in your answer
When interviewers ask about your hobbies or free time activities, they try to understand what kind of person you are. Unfortunately, some people use this question as an opportunity to brag about all the amazing things they do with their time. While it’s great to be impressive, you don’t want to come across as arrogant or conceited. Instead, focus on sharing activities that paint you in a positive light and avoid mentioning anything that could make you seem like a less than ideal candidate.
Examples of good answers to “what do you like doing in your free time?”
For example, tell the interviewer that if you love spending your free time reading. Reading can help improve your concentration and focus, so it’s a great answer to this question. If you enjoy playing video games, mention how it helps you relax and unwind after a long day. And if you prefer to go outside and get some fresh air, explain how it helps you clear your head and recharge.
Whatever your answer is, make sure it’s something that you genuinely enjoy doing. This will show the interviewer that you have hobbies and interests outside of work and know how to relax and have fun.
Here are some more examples:
- I am also a big fan of cooking. I love trying out new recipes and experimenting in the kitchen. The whole process is very satisfying, from planning the meal to sitting down and enjoying it. And of course, it’s always great to have a tasty home-cooked meal instead of eating out all the time.
- I also enjoy reading and spending time with my family and friends. I am very close with my parents, siblings, and cousins, so we try to get together as often as possible. And whenever I have some downtime, you usually find me curled up with a good book.
- I enjoy playing sports and staying active. I played tennis in high school, and now I like to stay fit by running, hiking, and playing basketball. I need to maintain a healthy lifestyle and stay in shape. I think it’s important to have hobbies and interests outside of work. It helps to keep you balanced and prevents you from getting burnt out. And it’s always good to talk about something other than work in an interview.
- One of my favorite hobbies is gardening. I find it very peaceful and calming, and I love being outdoors. I have a small garden at home, and I grow various flowers, vegetables, and herbs. Gardening is a great way to relax, and it’s also very rewarding to see something you’ve planted grow and flourish.
- I read books on history, art, or current affairs in my free time. I love to learn, and I find that reading helps me expand my knowledge and perspective. It’s also a great way to unwind after a long day. Plus, it’s always good to be well-informed and up-to-date on current events.
These are just a few interesting things you can mention when interviewers ask about what you do in your spare time. The most important thing is to be honest, and share something you’re passionate about.
Feel free to be as creative or as straightforward as you’d like. Remember that your answer should give the interviewer a window into your personality and interests outside work. With that in mind, look at the following examples for inspiration.
Do you have other tips for answering the question, “what do you like doing in your free time?” Please share them with us in the comments below!