After completing your massage therapist training, you can apply for jobs at massage clinics, spas, hospitals, and other healthcare facilities. To help you prepare for your interviews, here are some common massage therapist interview questions and tips on how to answer them:
Table of Contents
Interview Questions to Ask Massage Therapist
Why did you choose to become a massage therapist?
When answering this question, highlight your passion for helping others feel their best and your interest in the healing benefits of massage therapy. You can also mention any personal experiences you’ve had with a massage that has influenced your decision to pursue this career.
What are the most important qualities of a successful massage therapist?
Some qualities that successful massage therapists share include excellent communication skills, a strong work ethic, and the ability to build rapport with clients. You can also mention your attention to detail and ability to stay calm under pressure.
What do you think are the benefits of massage therapy?
Massage therapy has many benefits, both for the client and the therapist. These benefits can include reducing stress and anxiety, improving circulation, and relieving pain. Be sure to mention any specific benefits you’ve seen firsthand in your work as a massage therapist.
What is your experience as a massage therapist?
In your answer, include any relevant work experience as a massage therapist. If you’re a recent graduate, you can mention any clinical training or externships you completed as part of your education. You can also talk about any volunteer work or unpaid internships in the field.
How would you describe your massage style?
When answering this question, describe your approach to massage therapy and how you tailor each session to the client’s needs. You can also mention any specialties or areas of interest you have, such as sports massage or pregnancy massage.
Are you comfortable working with clients who have medical conditions?
Some massage therapists only work with clients who are healthy and do not have any medical conditions. Others are comfortable working with many clients, including those with medical conditions. If you’re comfortable working with clients with medical conditions, mention this in your answer. You can also discuss any special training or experience working with clients with medical conditions.
What are your strengths as a massage therapist?
When answering this question, highlight any qualities or skills that make you a successful massage therapist. You might mention your strong work ethic, excellent communication skills, or ability to build rapport with clients. You can also discuss your passion for helping others feel their best and your commitment to continuing your education in the field.
What areas of the body do you like to work on most?
Some massage therapists prefer working on certain areas of the body. Others enjoy working on all areas of the body. If you have a preference, mention this in your answer. You can also discuss any specialties or areas of interest, such as sports or pregnancy massage.
Do you have any certifications or special training?
Some massage therapists have special certifications or training in areas such as sports massage, pregnancy massage, or reflexology. If you have special certifications or training, mention this in your answer.
How do you deal with clients who are unhappy with their service?
No matter how good you are at your job, you’re going to have clients who are unhappy with their service. When answering this question, discuss how you deal with clients who are unhappy and how you try to resolve the situation. You can also mention any previous experience dealing with unhappy clients.
Are you willing to travel if needed?
Some massage therapists are willing to travel to their clients, while others prefer to work in one location. If you’re willing to travel, mention this in your answer. You can also discuss any previous experience traveling for work.
General Massage Therapist Interview Questions
- What is your availability?
- What made you want to become a massage therapist?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- What is the length of each massage session?
- How many massages do you give in a day/week?
- Do you allow for music or other noise during the massage?
- What is the temperature in your massage room?
- Are there any side effects the client should be aware of?
- What are your policies regarding client confidentiality?
- What do you like most about being a massage therapist?
- What are your career goals?
- What would you do if the client needed to cancel an appointment last minute?
- How do you handle no-shows?
- How do you handle clients who become disruptive during their massage?
- What is the most challenging part of being a massage therapist?
- What do you think sets your messages apart from others?
- Do you have any unique or special techniques that you use?
- What are your thoughts on massage therapy research?
- What do you think the future of massage therapy looks like?
- What are your policies regarding couples’ massages?
Technique-Related Massage Therapist Interview Questions
- What are your favorite techniques to use?
- What techniques do you specialize in?
- What technique do you use for back pain?
- What new techniques have you wanted to try out?
- What are your thoughts on traditional massage techniques?
- What are your thoughts on alternative massage techniques?
- What are the most important things for a massage therapist to know?
- How often do you change up your techniques?
- What drew you to the techniques that you use now?
- Have you ever developed your technique?
When interviewing potential massage therapists, it’s important to ask various questions to get a well-rounded sense of who they are and what they can offer you. These 40 massage therapist interview questions should help give you a good starting point in the interview process. Thanks for reading!